Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Google rumours confirmed!

Well, ever since Google bought Writely, a web word processor earlier this year, I knew something was up... after just releasing an "Excel" type spreadsheet program a few months ago, its now got a great word processor to back it up. I love google, I have to admit, I live google, I wake up to it, I use gmail, I use everything google has come out with to at least try it, but this I love. My vision is indeed a world where all my software is available online and accessible via my google account. I live the Calender, they have integrated that really nicely I think.
The goal here, as the article states is to rival Microsoft, which has already had to go "Outlook live" due to this and may now have to start offering more. The perks? Lots!
*Online storage
*accessible from any computer with an Internet connection
*FREE
*easily merges with all other services and will continue to seamlessly as time progresses

Its also apparently, quality wise, quite reliable and comparable to Microsoft's products, with none of the price or PC based compatibility issues.

I'm not sure if any of you have heard of the old "I-opener". During one of my last jobs I was quite intrigued by this "old technology" and see it coming back again as the future. It basically had enough memory to access online resources and that's about it, no more. Cheap, and quick. In the future I wonder what the home PC will consist of.... a great graphics card, fast Internet connection, and hardware to SUPPORT Internet applications but that's about it. Imagine a world where there is no need to load anything, you log into your online OS, get your settings, and start using your online stored software, play your online based games, and check your WEB mail. If google keeps it up this will all be free to us. This kind of competition also forces big competitors to give the consumer a break, make some services available for free to us, offer quality programs that are compatible in this world at a cheaper price. In order to send a resume I should have purchased a 200$ ++ office suite to make sure my employers could open it. That does not help. Kudos for google to making this stuff everyday easier and more convenient...

This should rawl up the latest privacy protection acts, but if you aren't planning a terrorist attack I don't see how you should be concerned....

Here's the link to get there...you need a google account, sign up and start enjoying an example of Web 2.0 and all its new befits!! https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F<mpl=WR_tmp_2_lfty&nui=1

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Firefox 2

Digg.com Feed !!